Sunday, September 7, 2008

Maggie Bella

Maggie was our Golden Retriever we got for Sam and Catherine last summer for their birthday's. She was delightful and beautiful. We have a fenced in backyard so thought this was the perfect fit for our family. Little did we know at the time that we would "inherit" a large boxer named "George" in January from Tyler and Alisha shortly after they were married. George and Maggie were like husband and wife. I have never seen 2 dogs fall in love with each other and play and share bones like these two did. Unfortunately, having 2 large dogs in a small house with 4 children became too much for me, not to mention the food bill being almost $80 a month. I worried that one of them would get hurt and I wouldn't be able to afford the vet bill. That didn't seem fair to our dogs, and with the way our budget is, something had to give. Not to mention, George was a "chewer" and chewed anything and everything he could get a hold of,... toys in the backyard, basketball hoop for the 3 year old, outside toybox, side of the house, bottom of the shed, several small trees in the backyard. So, the decision had to be made to maintain my sanity... the dogs needed a new home. One of my best friends from the hospital has 2 brothers that are 8 & 10 and they had just lost their golden puppy to Parvo. She mentioned to me that she would like to have Maggie if that was possible. They lived in the country with no leash laws, have a lot of land and an older Golden Retriever who needed company. Maggie loved other dogs so I thought this would be the perfect fit. And it was. They immediately welcomed Maggie into their home and built her a dog lot and dog run. She was very happy there. Anyway, she just told me that Maggie was hit by a car about 3 weeks ago and they buried her in their front yard. I felt like she had died when we gave her up, but now she really has. I feel so bad, I should have done better by her but I didn't. It's hard to lose a pet, no matter why you have to lose it. She was a very important part of our family for the brief time she was here and we'll miss her very much.
Samuel sleeping on Maggie when we first brought her home.

Catherine loved to snuggle with Maggie, and would sit on the sofa and hold her as long as she could.

We love you Maggie and will miss you dearly.

2 comments:

Deana said...

AWWW.... so cute!

Thanks for asking about my friend. Her hip surgery went very well. She is 43 & obviously not the typical age of someone having hip replacement. But, it's been something that was eventually going to happen since a really bad car accident she was involved in when she was 19 or 20. They are telling her that she is at 10 days, where people typically are at 3 weeks. But again, I'm sure they're comparing her to someone older & not in as good of health & muscle tone. Her challenge will be in taking it easy & not doing too much. You know that all too well, I'm sure!

Have a GREAT WEEK! :-)

Deana said...

OH & by the way...

very happy for you & your new job! I hope it is just as enjoyable for you as your prior position. And you'll get a date... & not because you have some great outfit... but because you're so pretty, inside & out! :-)